Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:54:47 +0100
From:      Sitkei Attila <freebsd-questions@pmihiv.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD server(s) to backup multi-platform systems remotely

>>> From a backup point of view, my goal...
>>

>> On a nightly and automated basis - to take a snapshot of all new and
>> modified data from a FreeBSD server and Windows server. Then compress
>> and hopefully encrypt the data and send it to a remote FreeBSD server
>> through some form of efficient and secure file transfer. Uncompressed
>> the nightly data may total ~20MB.

It is worth to take a look at http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/, which is
a tool focusing on automated (`lazy') or snapshot backup. Supported are most
unices, there is no FreeBSD-port however. A windows' client utility is work
in progress, though usable via cygwin now. Its main advantages:
* backups via encrypted streams, public key infrastucture
* only modified parts are to be transported
* preserving the overwritten or deleted files
* quota-support
* userland RAID-option

Have a nice day

--tef