Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:26:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq built-in ncr & tl controllers with 4.0

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I've been trying to get 3.1 or 4.0 to run on a Compaq Professional Workstation
> 6000 with dual PII-300s, using the built-in symbios 53c875 SCSI controller, and
> the built-in "ThunderLan" ethernet adapter.  The machine works perfectly with
> 2.2.8, but we'd like to get it running 3.1 (or 4.0 if necessary) to take
> advantage of the second CPU.
>
> We have been able to complete a make upgrade with freshly cvsupped 3.1 source,
> to the point where the new kernel boots.  While booting, the GENERIC kernel
> does not find the ncr or tl devices, and of course fails to mount root.  I'd
> include dmesg from those boots, but it doesn't get far enough to write it
> anywhere.  The new bootblocks seem to be working fine, and are able to boot
> the kernel, but it fails with a "cannot mount root" message and then panics.
>
> We then tried to boot with the 3.1 and the 4.0 boot floppies.  Neither was
> able to find the SCSI controller or the ethernet device.  Of course, we find
> it odd that 2.2.8 found the devices ok, but newer releases do not.  As far
> as I can tell, the hardware is supported by CAM, etc. (I have a Tekram 390F
> 53c875-based card in another 4.0 machine that works great).  The installs
> failed with the complaint that no disks could be found to install on.
>
> A search through the mailing list archives yielded little information that
> still seemed relevant (apparently, the tl0 driver wasn't around in 2.2.6 or
> earlier but that obviously changed before 2.2.8).
>
> I've included the 2.2.8 dmesg output below.  I'm hoping that someone out there
> will see something in them that I cannot and will provide us with the magic
> incantation needed to get this thing running 3.1 or 4.0.  Our suspicions are
> on the PCI bridge, since both the unfound devices are on pci bus 1, while
> the detected devices reside on bus 0, but we don't know what to do about that.
>
> By the way, the unidentified storage device that doesn't get a driver assigned
> on pci1:10 is a Jaz Jet card, apparently with an Advansys chipset, that 2.2.8
> doesn't grok, but 3.1+ should find ok.  It doesn't get detected by 3.1 or 4.0
> kernels either.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> -Ben

As Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de> suggested, it might be
something to do with the fact that all of these devices are behind a
pci-pci bridge. In the 2.2.8 boot, you can see the bridge as chip1 in log.

Can you tell me if the 3.1 kernel detects this bridge properly and what
the probe message is for it. Try a verbose boot (boot -v) to get the pci
code to print more about what it is doing.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com