Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 15:00:21 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Have I left something out?

I set up a test network and it did not behave as I had hoped/expected.

I wanted to have redundant connections so that if one goes down, another
can be used.

Consider the simple case of a loop. For discussion, we will have 6 nets.
10.0.1.0/24, 10.0.2.0/24, ..., 10.0.6.0/24.
We will join them with routers
10.0.1.1 == 10.0.2.1
10.0.2.2 == 10.0.3.2
10.0.5.5 == 10.0.6.5
and to close the loop
10.0.6.6 == 10.0.1.6

Now we bring them all up and let them exchange routing info.
All is well.
A packet from net 1 ==> net 3 goes via net 2.
A packet from net 1 ==> net 5 goes via net 6.

Now we break the loop by declaring net 6 (or one of the router interfaces
thereon) down.
The routes reconfigure and the packet to net 5 now takes the longer (but
still available)
route via nets 2,3,4.

However, and this is my problem, if I declared the 10.0.1.6 interface down,
I cannot reach the machine.

Host 10.0.1.1 INSISTS that the packet go out the net 1 interface and cannot
reach 10.0.1.6.
It never finds the "backdoor", 10.0.6.6.

Any suggestions?

Richard Wackerbarth