Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:53:02 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need for examples.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 12:09:59AM +0100, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
> > Note however, that you might prefer to boot the updated kernel before
> > making the world.  The whole procedure of building a custom kernel is
> > described in the handbook, but if you have a config file ready, say one
> > called MYKERNEL, you can almost always get away with:
>
>   Why should I? What are the reasons behind it(preferring to compile
> kernel first?)

You can find plenty of those in the archives.  The same is true for the
opposite thing, though.  Try to think clearly which you prefer ;)

> >     Synchronizing Source Trees over the Internet
> > 	URL = http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html
>
> I do not like this chapter in book it really is undiscernible.Some
> examples took from Handbook e.g. some particular version of ls should
> be up-dated have you seen it anywhere in real world?I am So all in
> all i do not like it. OOch :)) I meant the book from Mr Lehey but I
> do not like this chapter in handbook too :)).

Well, I don't like some things either.  For instance the fact that
Greg's book costs a literally doubled sum here in Greece.  But I did
find it helpful, some times even fun to read.  My intelligence should
not be assumed to be de facto higher than anyone else's.  Therefore, I
will take my chances that you will understand the whole thing next time
you read it.

Not everyone is a developer that graps CVS concepts easily.  Even less
people have worked with releases, etc.  It is, then, understandable
that some things can seem complicated, at first. But you can try
reading the supfile I posted, and see how it fits together with what
you have read so far.  Soon, you'll be writing your own supfiles,
usually making use of /usr/share/examples/cvsup/*-supfile as templates.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]