Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:23:18 -0800
From:      Ivan Frosty <ivanfrosty@gmail.com>
To:        Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>, questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9 and 3G Modems

The FreeBSD u3g driver =B6=B6

Introduction =B6=B6
This driver supports 3G (UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA) cards that provide
access to one or more serial ports through a USB interface, providing
PPP and AT command channels simultaneously. Some devices provide
access to multiple pairs of channels for integrated GPS', or other
access methods (Option HSO driver).

Transfer speeds should be above 30k on a good UMTS connection and a
fast server:

% curl -o /dev/null ftp://ftp.nl.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ls-lR.gz
% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time    Cur=
rent
Dload      Upload     Total                    Spent   Left             Spe=
ed
12 19.9M   12 2486k    0     0  40203      0  0:08:39  0:01:03  0:07:36 439=
21
Some (older) devices (from Sierra for example) provide 1 serial port
through a normal serial port or the normal serial USB drivers. They
usually support the ETSI / 3GPP 27.010 3GPPMultiplexProtocol, making
it possible to open a AT command channel and a PPP connection channel
simultaneously. A basic implementation which works on an Option
Globetrotter GPRS card is available. Contact me for details.

Verified to work =B6=B6
See the man page.

Installation instructions =B6=B6
The driver is available in both FreeBSD 7 and FreeBSD 8. The one in
FreeBSD 8 and up was written by Hans Petter Selasky. Consult
freebsd-usb@=85 for more information and bug reports.

The driver from FreeBSD 7 should be usable on FreeBSD 6, without too
many changes. You will need to patch ucom.c though with the attached
patch (see below).

Tricks =B6=B6
To start your connection automatically use something like the
following snippet in your devd.conf:

  attach 100 {
    device-name "ucom[0-9]+";
    match "vendor" "0x12d1";
    match "product" "0x1003";
    action "/usr/sbin/ppp -ddial kpn";
  };
Some people have been able to get their device to successfully switch
from driver mode to modem mode using  usb_modeswitch. You can compile
it on !FreeBSD with

    cc -L /usr/local/lib -I/usr/local/include -lusb -o usb_modeswitch
usb_modeswitch.c
if you have libusb installed. The mass storage devices the devices
present should be available through ugen. Note that umass must not be
present in your kernel nor as a module (or it should be made to ignore
these devices).

To see signal strength for example while online:

Start ppp (See also PPPFor3GModems).

prolly that could help.........