Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:10:18 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devfs(5) Permissions

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 05:36:04PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20020303083136.A84637@blossom.cjclark.org>, "Crist J. Clark" writes
> :
> >I've checked the manpages, the files in /etc, and Googled, and I can't
> >find the answer. I am begining to worry there isn't one. How does one
> >change the permissions on dynamically created devices? That is, when
> >the node comes into existence, it has the permissions I want, and not
> >necessarily the defaults.
>
> The overall plan is that it will be possible to push a ruleset into
> the kernel which changes the defaults.  ETA: this summer (If I have to
> do it, if somebody wants to help code it it can probably be done faster).

I have a very similar problem trying to sync my Handspring Visor
as a regular user 'cos the devices only come into existance when
you press the sync button.

Do you have any designs for this ruleset stuff? From what you said
at BSDconEurope it will have to be fairly complicated to achieve
the your aim of being better than a static permission for a given
device.

Otherwise, one option would just be to have devfs check for a file
in the /dev directory it is mounted over and then use that files
permissions as a default. That would at least get us back the
features of the old /dev which we're missing now.

	David.