Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:55:37 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a bit OT - VPN+Windows

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> could You put me to some manual about configuring any king of VPN (with
> encryption at least, preferable compression too) with windows machines as
> clients and FreeBSD as servers.
>
> i used VPN's many times but always with unix on both sides and used vtun
> which works great. unfortunately there is no vtun for windows.

I have used poptop (AKA pptpd) - in the ports collection, but the
really useful information is at:

http://www.pingle.org/2006/04/11/getting-poptop-to-run-under-freebsd-5-6

However, two points:

1.  pptpd is built for Linux.  For FreeBSD user-land ppp is used, no
matter what you specify, and so the config file is /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
Anything you say about this setting in /usr/local/etc/pptpd.conf is
ignored, and the ppp.conf file used instead.  Also, some settings are
repeated in both ppp.conf and pptpd.conf - the ppp.conf settings take
precedence.  The ppp.conf needs to specify a label for pptpd to use,
and it is:

 	pptp:
 	  (normal ppp directives follow this)

2.  You need to set your FreeBSD system to be a gateway
(gateway_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf) and some routing and ARP stuff
enabled in rc.conf:

 	arpproxy_all="YES"
 	forward_sourceroute="YES"
 	accept_sourceroute="YES"

I have it working at a fairly large site where people use XP at home
and access the Windows stuff through a FreeBSD 6.1 gateway.

Cheers,

Rob Hurle
 	Rob Hurle		Faculty of Asian Studies, ANU
 	Home address and contacts:	 Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
 	  PO Box 4013			 Fax: +61 2 6247 2397
 	  Ainslie		     Cell phone: 0417 293 603
 	  Australia		e-mail: rob@coombs.anu.edu.au