Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:49:44 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        cvs-src@FreeBSD.org, src-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/compat/linux linux_socket.c

Alexander Leidinger <netchild@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> netchild    2006-03-21 21:56:04 UTC
>
>  FreeBSD src repository
>
>  Modified files:
>    sys/compat/linux     linux_socket.c
>  Log:

>  - make some functions globally visible on alpha

According to the CVS history someone tried those functions on alpha in the
past, but they failed to work correctly. Unfortunately the cause of the
breakage isn't recorded. Since then a lot of commits where done and the
problem may or may not exists anymore. If someone is able to actually test
the linuxolator on alpha (I have some doubts that we have a linux_base which
works on alpha *and* is still supported by the distributor and as such is
also safe from a security point of view), I would be pleased to hear about
success or failure. And in case of a failure I may have some ideas how to
fix it on alpha...

If nobody is using the linuxolator on alpha with a recent FreeBSD (either
because everything is used on x86/amd64 hardware, and/or because there's no
usable linux_base for alpha), I think it would be best to remove the linux
part from alpha. It would make the code in compat/linux cleaner.

Bye,
Alexander.

BOFH excuse #138:

BNC (brain not connected)