Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:44:12 +0800
From:      Nigel Taylor <nigelt@iinet.net.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating system help ??!!??

Hi

I had the same problems also when i started using freebsd, but I soon
found out from fellow friends (from the freebsd-stable and
freebsd-questions mailing list) who run freebsd and you might find this
easy to do :), and get into a habit of doing this also :)

First run

*make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL*

if no errors, then run

*cp /kernel /kernel.prev && make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL

*then reboot

If everything is "OK" shutdown and reboot into single user mode

mount all the filesystems you need (/usr, /var)

*mount -u  /, /usr, /var*

then run

*make installworld*

then reboot an everything should be "OK", then thats your system
updated, well almost you still have to use mergemaster :)

if you modify your kernel just use

*make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL && **make installkernel
KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL

*If you want i have some shell scripts that do this automatically :)

Nigel Taylor