Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 95 18:50:00 EST
From:      Ruiyuan_Jiang/Advantage_KBS_at_LotusXchg@njcorp.akbs.com
To:        torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   INN news for FreeBSD v2.1

  Hi,

  I am trying to compile the INN News for our company's Usenet News server
  using FreeBSD v2.1.

  1. I downloaded all the files under ftp.freebsd.org/
  2.1-RELEASE/ports/news/inn directory and its subdirectory. The Makefile
  under 2.1-RELEASE/ports/news/inn directory states "DISTNAME=
  inn1.4sec". Does it mean I need to download inn1.4sec.tar.Z file from
  ftp.uu.net instead of inn1.4.tar.Z file or I can use any one of them?

  2. In INN news distribution file, it says that I need to copy config.dist
  to config.data file under its config subdirectory after the software is
  uncompressed. I think that I can use the config.data file under
  ftp.freebsd.org/2.1-RELEASE/ports/news/inn/files directory instead
  because I think Mr. Torsten Blum may already make the necessary changes
  in the config.dist file. Do I need to delete the original Makefile in the
  distribution and copy the Makefile under ftp.freebsd.org/
  2.1-RELEASE/ports/news/inn or just use the original Makefile not in the
  subdirectory after I uncompress the distribution file (i.e. if I
  downloaded the inn1.4sec.tar.Z file under /root/innnews directory, I got
  a Makefile in /root/innnews directory after I uncompressed
  inn1.4sec.tar.Z file)?

  3. I don't know whether I can run "make" at this time or not. If the
  answer is yes, how about the rest files under 2.1-RELEASE/ports/news/inn
  such as /inn/files/md5, /inn/patches/patch-a?, /inn/pkg/COMMENT, DESCR,
  PLIST and /scripts/configure in ftp.freebsd.org/
  2.1-RELEASE/ports/news/inn. If the answer is no, what should I do?

  Thanks in advance.

  Ruiyuan Jiang
  System Administrator
  Advantage kbs