Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:57:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Binutils? (Was: re: gcc 2.8)

> Speaking of upgrading the compiler, what are the chances of upgrading the
> binutils to 2.9.1 (at least for the ELF bits) in -current?

I think the general consensus would be "yes, you can update "ld" and
friends, if you first make them grok a.out".

> Also, the building of gas from the -current sources seems to ignore CFLAGS
> (and CXXFLAGS), but not CC/CXX.  Should I open a pr for these and other
> minor stuff like this?

Don't set DESTDIR.

Alternately, look at bsd.lib.mk and bsd.prog.mk, and specifically
look at it with a critical eye on what it does to the include and
library paths.

The kludge for the includes, at least for the g++ from -ports, is:

CXXINCLUDES+=   -I/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd2.2.5/2.8.1/include

The manifest variable agregation order is a bit different for gcc.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.