Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:50:20 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPSd and APC Back-UPS

David Kott <dakott@alpha.delta.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone actually gotten UPSd 2.0.1.6 to work with a homebrew cable?  I
> recently purchased an APC Back-UPS 500 and tracked down a hack'd cable
> callout that allegdly duplicates the APC part.

As you say, you have APC Back-UPS, not Smart-UPS. So, why you use upsd, which
is for Smart UPS's from APC ?? I use bkpupsd from the ports collection with my
APC Back-UPS Pro 650 and it works great.

> male DB9 (UPS)          fem DB9 (UNIX)
> 1 CD                    7 RTS
> 2 RD                    1 CD
> 9 RING                  5 SGND
>
> This is apparently how the APC cable is wired, although the same author
> says it would be better (due to the power-up initialization of the UART)
> to use TX (computer pin 3) rather than RTS (pin 7). Haven't had a chance
> to DO it, but it's on the list. I spend too much time reading mail!

My cable from APC has more than four resistors, one diode and transistor also.
Without disassembling it's very difficult to say how the real scheme looks
out. If you want, I can send you my cable sheme.

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee