Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 2006 14:29:13 -0700
From:      Lorin Lund <wbs@infowest.com>
To:        FreeBSD Prospect <mailings.freebsd@o0l0o.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possibility to submit requests for new ports?

FreeBSD Prospect wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering, if there is any communication channel to request new ports.
>
> I mean, isn't it likely, that a FreeBSD user (not a codergeek able to create
> ports himself) is looking for some software, which is available open-source
> for Linux, but hasn't been ported yet?
>
> Wouldn't it be useful, to have an own mailing list for that?
>
> Or is freebsd-ports thought to be suiteable for that matter (I am subscribed
> to that mailing-list, but didn't see much traffic until now, and no port
> requests at all)?

Ports are ported and supported by volunteers.  Every year there are
ports that get dropped from the system because the person who ported it
no longer can afford the time to update it and no-one else steps up to
take their place.

So there is always a shortage of people who are both qualified and
interested (motivated) enough to maintain all the ports that are
currently in the system, let alone adding more.

Basically what you would need to do to get something ported is to find
someone who is capable of doing it and get them interested, or find
someone who is interested in the application you want ported who could
become capable (largely through self study) and sell them on the idea of
giving the project a huge chunk of their life.

I wish you the best of luck.