Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:00:06 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stupid ksh tricks [Was: Re: Changing sh for compatibility sake]

At 10:22 AM 10/28/98 -0800, Parag Patel wrote:

>A minor aside regarding some stupid ksh tricks...
>
>My fingers have gotten used to hitting TAB in bash for completing file
names.  I'd avoided pdksh only for this one reason.  (Sad, I know.)

>I recently dug through the man-page for pdksh and discovered that adding
these following lines:

>        case "$KSH_VERSION" in
>        *"PD KSH"*)
>                bind '^I=complete'
>                bind '^I^I=complete-list'
>                ;;
>        esac
>
>to my .kshrc (which is linked to .bashrc for me) and things work just
fine.  It's not *exactly* the same output, but it's pretty much the same
behavior and so my fingers don't have to be retrained.  I've switched over
to pdksh now.

Why not do 'set -o vi' followed by 'set -o vi-tabcomplete' and all is well.

>I also have some ksh functions to mimic the csh/bash pushd/popd commands,
so if anyone's interested in these, please let me know and I'll email my
.kshrc or put it up for ftp.

Are you sure it needs to mimic them?  Don't know bash, but ksh does have
pushd/popd and it is supposed to be similar to csh's, which I don't do either.

Might suggest O'Reilly's "Learning the Korn Shell" since the man pages
don't cover everything.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net