Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:05:50 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repeated UFS panics?

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
>
>> Is this similar as this one?
>> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200708202327.03951.qpadla
>
> No:
> - it happens with and without gjournal
> - it happens during "regular" system usage during IO intensive periods
>
> It looks like a UFS corruption: as I said, I was able to provoke it
> regularly by doing heavy IO on a clean newfs-ed file system (I can't
> after an update to a newer kernel+world, now it seems to happen randomly).

By any chance, are there some oddly named directories?  I found that UFS
will panic with a ufs_dirbad if there are some strange chars in the dir
name.  My directories were copied with rsync, from one UFS partition to
another.  It could be the way rsync translated it or the way UFS sent it
to rsync during read, I'm not certain.  I still have the bad file
system, corresponding core file, etc.  I even ran fsdb on the fs to
track down the offending directory, and I think I found it.  Of course,
I could rename it in fsdb, but that would remove my test case.  I
stopped debugging it when I got busy, but if there is an interested
person willing to help be with some debug ideas, I can go back into it.

Eric