Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:42:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>, doug <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make and gnu make

On Mon, 30 March 1998 at  5:54:49 -0500, MALCOLM BOFF wrote:
> Doug it has taken me a little research in order to get
> back to you, however I can assure you that the O'Reilly
> reference DOES relate to the BSD distribution of 'make'.

I don't understand how you come to this conclusion.

> There is a BSD command 'pmake' which has been introduced
> as a variant (but which does not replace the original
> 'make'). This variant is supposed to support advanced
> features that 'make' does not support in it's spec.
> For example the ability to utilise the C format '+='
> to enable the concatenation to a defined variable, also
> the ability to include other files. However it is not
> compatible to the original 'make' nor does it support
> SCCS.

If this is a quote from the book, I can't find it.  There's no mention
in the index, and I can't find it by looking through the "Popular
Extensions" chapter.

If you *do* want some kind of treatment of BSD make, look at "Porting
UNIX Software" (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/port/noframes.html).
It relates primarily to the BSD/OS version of make.

> I believe that what FreeBSD calls make is either 'pmake' or a
> modified version of it.

This is correct.  I said this in a reply a few days ago.

> It concerns me as an applications developer that something as
> important as 'make' is effectively non-conformant with the major
> systems like 'AIX', 'Solaris', 'HPUX' etc which use the non-variant
> 'make'

Yes, I didn't like it much either.  Life's a bitch.

Greg