Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2013 11:46:51 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: do I have to compile a new kernel? or just add options somehow?
References:  <CAHcg-UF6hdDBrnw%2BjY6ajzdD9NnSzAPnu8pwMqvGfkK3feWgKQ@mail.gmail.com> <1A249B2C-B341-4270-B343-627901FD9562@my.gd> <CAHcg-UF1HfTq_OianFxiD1Xy_EyA6GApuOKPG%2Bb%2B1XF2a1c27g@mail.gmail.com> <D8B22251-346B-4507-8705-58CBD3D2026F@my.gd> <CAHcg-UHOeWi9xTMe9x2BBYW%2Bwh6PO_do2SSoioopxmgNbSZg2Q@mail.gmail.com> <EBFA2511-A297-41DA-99DC-A8070BA47AB7@my.gd> <CAHcg-UFC8RZ2RZE=j8u=6NO1=duMYz_thV_8pHk6YZW=7-CxFw@mail.gmail.com>

As I said earlier, you might not need to rebuild it, but I can't say if =
IPsec Nat Traversal is enabled in the module.

On Dec 5, 2013, at 9:41 PM, "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com> =
wrote:

>=20
> I ran  #kldload crypto.  Did you see that?  Then I ran kldstat and it =
shows the module loaded.
>=20
> Why do I have to recompile the kernel if I can run kldload or use =
loader.conf to load the module at boot time?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:
> Merely adding the options and rebooting is not sufficient to get the =
options from your kernel as opposed to a module.
>=20
> You need to actually recompile the kernel, I hope you did that.
>=20
>=20
> On Dec 5, 2013, at 5:48 PM, "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> Looks like it "might have" worked for me. First I added a couple of =
options to the GENERIC config:
>>=20
>> root@:~ # grep IPSEC /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>> options         IPSEC           # IP security (requires device =
crypto)
>> options         IPSEC_NAT_T     # NAT-T support, UDP encap of ESP
>>=20
>> Then rebooted:
>>=20
>> root@:~ # uname -a
>> FreeBSD  8.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE #0 r251259: Mon Jun  3 =
01:14:28 UTC 2013     =
root@bake.isc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>>=20
>> root@:~ # kldload crypto
>> root@:~ # kldstat=20
>> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>>  1    5 0xc0400000 d5c4ec   kernel
>>  2    1 0xc58eb000 23000    crypto.ko
>>  3    1 0xc58da000 a000     zlib.ko
>>=20
>>=20
>> The reason I am doing this is because a new Cisco VPN router will not =
work with my IPF Freebsd firewall. The IPF firewall blocks the UDP ipsec =
packets on port 4500. So now I need to see if doing the above exercise =
helps with IPF blocking IPsec traversal across NAT
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:
>> Oh but you can load modules at boot time for GENERIC just fine.
>>=20
>> While there is a "crypto" module nested under =
/usr/src/sys/modules/crypto/ , I'm not familiar enough with it to say =
whether it incorporates both the device and the IPSEC options you're =
interested in.
>>=20
>> You're better off rebuilding GENERIC, or your own kernel, IMHO.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> If you're curious, you can always run :
>> kldload crypto
>>=20
>> If kldload says the module doesn't exist (I think it should, for =
GENERIC), you'll need to build it:
>> cd /usr/src/sys/modules/crypto/ && make && make install
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Here's little me trying to load it under a brand new 8.4 box:
>>=20
>> # kldload /boot/kernel/crypto.ko
>> kldload: can't load /boot/kernel/crypto.ko: Exec format error
>>=20
>>=20
>> If you run into this error like me, "dmesg" will provide you with a =
clue, as it does in my case:
>> KLD crypto.ko: depends on zlib - not available or version mismatch
>> linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I really encourage you to rebuild your own kernel, stripped of all =
the stuff you don't want/need (ISA NICs, wifi, firewire, floppy =
controller... )
>>=20
>>=20
>> Warren Block has written pretty cool articles, here:
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/buildworld.html
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/kernelconfig.html
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I hope that helps,
>>=20
>>=20
>> On Dec 5, 2013, at 4:30 PM, "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> So the answer is that it's NOT possible to load modules at boot time =
for GENERIC? I have to actually build a new kernel?
>>>=20
>>> Thanks!
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> On Dec 5, 2013, at 3:35 PM, "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>>=20
GENERIC

>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> While it's far from being a good practice, you can simply add your:
>>> device crypto
>>> options IPSEC
>>> options IPSEC_NAT_T
>>>=20
>>> to /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC (assuming you're running a 64bit release =
that is).
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Then: cd /usr/src && make kernel-toolchain && make buildkernel
>>>=20
>>> Once the kernel is built, you only need to "make installkernel" and =
reboot.
>>>=20
>>> It is good practice, before rebooting, to run "mergemaster -p" , =
even if you've only done a minor upgrade, let good habits sink in ;)
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Regarding what is compiled in the GENERIC kernel, you can find the =
included options and devices at:
>>> /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
>>> or
>>> /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>>>=20
>>> You may also run config -x /boot/kernel/kernel , if your kernel was =
built with INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE , which GENERIC does.