Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:08:34 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Brice ERRANDONEA <berrandonea@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to connect a jail to the web ?

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:01:24AM +0000, Brice ERRANDONEA wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I've just created my first FreeBSD jail in order to install a web server
> inside.  But I don't know how to connect it to the web. When I try pingin=
g a
> http website, it doesn't work. Of course, it works when I do it from outs=
ide
> the jail.

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

  - The IP address you're using for a jail is usually an alias for an exist=
ing
    interface. I think this is done to make routing easier. My system is
    configured as a gateway, and I've aliased the IP adresses for my jails =
    the interaface of the internal trusted network.
  - You should really use the rc interface for starting jails; it's much ea=
sier.=20

> Another problem, probably linked to the first one, I can't run rc within =
the=20
> jail, even as the jail's root. It says : permission denied.

See below.
=20
> Here's how I built and started my jail. I had already run make buildworld=
 when=20
> upgrading to 8.1 release :
>=20
> # mkdir /usr/prison
> # cd /usr/src
> # make installworld DESTDIR=3D/usr/prison
> # make distribution DESTDIR=3D/usr/prison

Do not forget to create an empty /etc/fstab in your jail;

  # touch /usr/prison/etc/fstab

You'll also need to create an appropriate /etc/rc.conf file in the jail. The
following should be a starting point;

    devfs_system_ruleset=3D"devfsrules_jail"
    network_interfaces=3D""
    sshd_enable=3D"YES"
    sendmail_enable=3D"NO"
    rpcbind_enable=3D"NO"

> # mount -t devfs devfs /usr/prison/dev
> # jail -c path=3D/usr/prison host.hostname=3DServeurWeb ip4.addr=3D192.1.=
1.1 persist
> # jail /usr/prison ServeurWeb 192.1.1.1 csh

You should use the full path name of the program you want to run.

  # jail /usr/prison ServeurWeb 192.1.1.1 /bin/csh

If you want to start the rc system in the jail;

 # jail /usr/prison ServeurWeb 192.1.1.1 /bin/sh /etc/rc

I've detailed my setpup on a webpage. Maybe it will be of use to you;

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/unix/misc.xhtml#creatingavirtualserveronfreebs=
dwithajail8

Roland
--=20