Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 21:24:59 +0200
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quad Ethernet Card Question

Hi !

> Does someone have a list of multi-port PCI NIC cards (based on
> the DEC chip) that are known to work with FreeBSD?
>
> We are looking primarially at the Cogent EM964, as it has 4 BNC
> connectors as an option.  We may go 10/100, which means the Cogent
> EM440TX, and the ZNXY 346 (or 348) cards.  There is also a card by
> Rockwell Network Systems (RNS 2340).
>
> If only the ZNYX 314 is supported, we could go with the 314
> (or 315) cards.
>

> All these cards seem very similar, in that they use a bridged PCI
> design, so they should all "just work" with the Dec driver...
> (Currently using FreeBsd 2.1.5)

The bridge is okay - the problems concerning multiport/bridged 21X40 cards are

- the correct initialization of the mac-address

MAC-address is programmed to 21X40 register by the driver reading the card's ROM.
Problem: the ROM format and checksum differs from card to card. This is true for
normal cards and especially for multiport cards. A Multiport card just has ONE
ROM for the first 21X40 controller ... it's cheaper and requires less space
than 4 cards.

- the right setting of the 21X40 general purpose register
The general purpose register controls bidirectional I/O pins. With these pins
one can select the media (for example). Therefore, I bet the EM400 has to have
another media select than the EM440.

So - the driver is indeed very similar as far as concerning buffer management,
interrupt handling and so on. For the initialisation of the card you have to know
the exact specifications of the card or you have to take a try to get the ROM
format and media select yourself.

Maybe I could set up a list if there are some guys interested - I've been
looking for this list myself.....

Bye

Gunther

Gunther Hipper                 |
University of Rostock          |
Department of Computer Science | Tel    +49 381 498 3391
Albert-Einstein-Str. 21        | Fax    +49 381 498 3440
18051 Rostock - Germany        | Email  Gunther.Hipper@informatik.uni-rostock.de