Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:27:50 -0500
From:      "Keith J" <kjohnso8@columbus.rr.com>
To:        "Peter Ong" <peter@haloflightleader.net>, "Robert Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Nevermind" <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        "Murray Stokely" <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG>, <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

Hmmmm.... I have never had this problem at all, and keep all my mp3's and
vids on the samba server. The box I play Mp3's on is behind a switch and a
hub.

My Samba box is an old 166Mhz with 65M of memory to compensate a bit for its
less than blinding speed processor. The box is gets fairly busy as well with
firewalling (OMG!), X11, and Apache / MRTG on a cable modem (call me
crazy!).

Another possibility is you do not have a Samba problem, but a network
problem with auto-negotiate. Some older 10/100 cards and switch combinations
step all over each other. You should lock down one end to a specific speed
and if 100Mbs, try full duplex. Another thing to consider... if you are
running 100, make sure its Cat5 cable and not a left over hunk of Cat3
confusing the card into negotiation.

The only other thing I recall having problems was using tcpwrappers trying
to fire multiple copies of the dameons, but that resulted in complete lack
of response and many messages about too many copies running.

I did notice, and the doc's point this out, you need to make a choice
between login's and plain ole shares. When I tried to do both, it was
extremely erractic. Since I wanted some disk space privacy, I opted for
login's with links from my user space to a common area with the Mp3's to
emulate a share.

The only "problem" with login's it is separate file that is not
automatically synched with passwd changes and becomes a two step process.
The only other possible difference is I do not run printers via Samba, and
instead let netbios figure it out.

Good luck... hope this helps... someone, somewhere, someday <g>

Keith