Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:40:34 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On Desktops and defaults

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Just a note before arguments get momentum:
> >
> > Offcourse, whenever possible, anyone responsible for such changes into the
> > BSD system, like those we discussed the last 48 hours about KDE and default
> > desktops, will make sure that whatever he adds to the install process will
> > made modular so that no desktop will get major preference above the other.
> >
> > Doing otherwise might IMHO violate the principle that is Unix, e.g.
> > customisable to the max with nothing forced down ones throat.
>
> You mean like SMTP is modular?  <ducks>
>
> Seriously, the way to get momentum is to pull in the same direction,
> for better or for worse.

Rely on the meritocracy here; If someone 'out there' can put together a
decent Blackbox or WindowMaker desktop which a consensus of FreeBSD can
live with, more power to 'em.  The work should be a peer with anything
else offered to the user, KDE or otherwise.  The port/packages system is
already flexible enough to deal with this.  Standards should be suitably
high however.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.