Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:44:59 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Todd Mortensen" <tmortensen@skylink.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>, <support@servertech.com>
Subject:   Re: java can't find the classes.

> I have been beating my head against the wall with this one.   I have
> installed the jdk from the ports collection of a 2.2.8-stable machine.

I'm not sure what's going on.  I use the code *everyday* on my box, and
it works fine.

> Do I need to unpack the classes.zip file under FreeBSD?

Certainly not.

Here's a thought.  Can you try a simple 'java' program to see if that
works?  Also, are you sure the permissions in /usr/local/jdk1.1.7 are
correct?  Start with something simple before trying the hard stuff.

Try the following:

public class HelloWorld {
        System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
}

% javac HelloWorld.java
% java HelloWorld

If that doesn't work, then something is wrong with the installation.  If
it does work, then I'd guess that the other program you're using was
compiled with a different version of Java or something.

Nate