Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:14:07 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Rob Carmichael" <robc@globalvc.co.uk>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dmesg errors

>Sorry to appear like a complete newbie, but the truth is ... i am. Can
>anyone help me with the following errors i get in mah dmesg ?
>
>real memory  = 50331648 (49152K bytes)
>config> di zp0
>No such device: zp0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di ze0
>No such device: ze0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di lnc0
>No such device: lnc0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di le0
>No such device: le0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di ie0
>No such device: ie0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di fe0
>No such device: fe0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di ex0
>No such device: ex0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di ed0
>No such device: ed0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> di cs0
>No such device: cs0
>Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
>config> q
>avail memory = 46628864 (45536K bytes)
>

>I know the first and last lines are not errors i just quoted them so you'd
>know whereabouts in the dmesg these errors came up. My first thought was
>that i left them in the kernal conf file, but it seems i did comment them
>out.
>Any ideas ???¿?

These are devices you disabled for GENERIC(?) using UserConfig and then
didn't include when you compiled your custom kernel. They're stored in
/kernel.config.

The easiest way to get rid of these messages is (as root):

# mv /kernel.config /kernel.config.old
# touch /kernel.config

Have fun!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!