Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon Inouye <jinouye@cse.ogi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IRQ assignment for PII motherboards

We just received two machines using Pentium II motherboards
(Intel PD440FX) with AMI BIOS 1.00.04.DT0.  The problem is the
BIOS configures the PCI SCSI and Ethernet devices to share the
same IRQ.  While WindowsNT device drivers appear to have no problem
with this (IRQ sharing is part of the PCI spec), some Linux and FreeBSD
drivers do.  There are some free IRQs, but the BIOS assignment appears
to be non-user-configurable.  I've looked for a SCU (System Configuration
Utility) program for this motherboard on the Intel developers web
site without success. Moving boards around and disabling the COM, USB,
and LPT devices didn't help either.

The current solution is removing the SCSI controller and going with
an IDE disk.  I'd appreciate any other suggestions or pointers to
a SCU program I can use!

-- Jon <jinouye@cse.ogi.edu>