Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:39:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gateway Solo 2300 and IRQ allocation for PC-Cards

I'm trying to get both PC-Card slots in a Gateway Solo 2300 to work under
3.2-RELEASE.

dmesg sez that allocated IRQs are:
1 atkbd0
3 pcic
4 sio0
5 pcm0
6 fdc0
7 ppc0
12 psm0
14 wdc0

This leaves 9, 10, 11, and 15.

pccardd can configure cards with 9, 10, and 15, when they're made available
in /etc/pccard.conf. But after the insertion interrupt and configuration of
the card, the card cannot successfully generate interrupts as it operates when
configured with 9, 10, or 15. IRQ 11 works fine, though.

I've searched the archives, and tried assigning the pcic to IRQs 9 and 10
by using the appropriate boot loader variable, and giving IRQ 3 to pccard.conf.
But card insertion fails to generate an interrupt when I try to force the
pcic to IRQs 9 or 10.

I suspect that IRQs 9 and 10 may be used by other system devices that are
not known to FreeBSD, but nevertheless there and conflicting with other uses
of 9 and 10.

Does anyone have experience with this particular laptop hardware? I may turn
on pnp in the kernel (off so far), to see if this helps matters at all (not
quite sure why it would...maybe the BIOS holds onto 9 and 10 for allocation
by PNP devices only).

Hmm. Maybe I should try moving the audio device off IRQ 5 (currently statically
configured), to IRQ 9 or 10, and giving 5 to pccard.conf. Comments?

Thanks,
-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu