Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:42:05 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        dnu <dnu@info.com.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: releng_4

Thus spake dnu <dnu@info.com.ph>:
> I was reading about cvsup in the handbook and I'm a bit confused.
> It said that releng_4 is the main stable branch while releng_4_6
> is for critical fixes.
>
> So, if I cvs releng_4, do I also need to cvs releng_4_6?  Or do
> the updates to releng_4_6 also get to releng_4?
>
> Hmm... Correct me if I'm wrong.  Releng_4_6 is for critical fixes
> to 4.6-release and whatever is updated there also gets to
> releng_4 - a.k.a. 4.6-stable - am I right?

RELENG_4 and RELENG_4_6 are just tags on the same code repository.
Think of them as snapshots made at a particular time.  (That's not
quite true, but close enough.)  Regardless of which one you choose,
you will get all of the sources you need.  The only difference is that
RELENG_4 will give you sources that include all recent changes to the
-STABLE branch, and RELENG_4_6 will give you sources that include only
security-related changes since 4.6 was released.