Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:47:48 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@portaone.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        Richard Tector <richardtector@thekeelecentre.com>
Subject:   Re: Areca SATA RAID controller

Scott Long wrote:
> Doug White wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Richard Tector wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if there are any plans to merge into HEAD the driver
>>> for the
>>> Areca SATA RAID controllers?
>>> They do supply FreeBSD drivers, including source, at
>>> ftp://60.248.88.208/RaidCards/AP_Drivers/FreeBSD/DRIVER/ which I have
>>> had no
>>> problems so far using under RELENG_5 though I have yet to test the
>>> controller and drivers under -CURRENT.
>>

>> I don't see any PRs with patches.  The source is BSD-licensed so it only
>> needs an advocate and a committer.
>>

> If someone is willing to send me a card, I'll make sure the driver gets
> into the tree.

I think it may make sense to contact Areca and ask them to send you a
card. Since I guess that the cost of making FreeBSD drivers if far more
than cost of the single card, while getting it into the tree means less
headache and maintenance for them in the future and more convinience for
their users.

-Maxim