Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 07:41:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> > >	with the K* and S* files in different directories, one for each
> > >run level, ascertaining the differences is needlessly harder.

> > There are no differences unless you're using a broken editor.

> 	i dont understand this.  what editor are you suggesting?

Some editors break links by renaming the original file to .bak. VI doesn't.

> 	a check for what?  for identical files?

For non-identical files. Files with the same tail should be the same file.

> 	copy the file to /tmp.  edit the version in tmp.  display the
> diff.  either prompt for accepting the change (all ports that add
> services become interactive) or report the new file's location and ask
> the user to verify and install.

And you expect everyone to do that consistently?

See, the problem is you have lots of people with varying levels of
competance writing install scripts, often trying to make the same script
work on BSD and System V and OSF/1 and NextStep and...

> > I'm not that averse to having a unified directory, but each component should
> > have its own startup and config file.

> 	okay, sounds good.  one file, one service.   one master file that
> coordinates them all.

NO. No master file. There is *no* justification for one.

(If I had my druthers I'd have an /etc/inetd.d as well)

> > Like I said in my original response, just having /etc/rc.d with S and K
> > scripts run by /etc/rc and shutdown would be a massive improvement.

> 	isnt this the one file that each port has to modify.  an
> objection you raised above?

Nope. You only move files into and out of the directory.

I even ported this scheme to my Amiga.