Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:33:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?VsOhY2xhdiBIYWlzbWFu?= <v.haisman@sh.cvut.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount related panic with FreeBSD 6?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, [UTF-8] V=C3=A1clav Haisman wrote:

> Hi,
> I got this panic on freshly installed FreeBSD 6. I did this df -h and
> noticed that /mnt/oldroot/home is somewhat mangled. The /mnt/oldroot is
> root of FreeBSD 4.11 system. I successfully copied some settings and all
> user accounts from that /mnt/oldroot/home earlier today. This is what I
> did before the panic:

[...]

I discovered this by accident with a CDROM the other day. In 6.0 you can
overlay read-only mounts (i.e., mount the same R/O FS on top of itself)
but unmounting it will cause GEOM to tear down the underlying device while
leaving the first mount behind. Next access to the mountpoint will panic
the system.

You can't mount a read/write mount on top of itself, or a r/o mount on a
r/w mount -- you get an error. A quick discussion with phk points to a
faulty or missing access check in GEOM. I'm not familiar with the VFS
operations required to mount a filesystem, though, so I'm not sure where
to look to put in the fix.

In the interim, be careful not to mount a read-only FS multiple times.

--=20
dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org