Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:44:08 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, tlambert2@mindspring.com, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp SCB timeout problems [FIX]

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 09:32:22AM -0600, Brad Huntting wrote:

> > From my perspective, negative functionality is being lost.  There is a
> > nice comment in the source code explaining what it is...
>
> >           * Enable workarounds for certain chip revision deficiencies.
> >           *
> >           * Systems based on the ICH2/ICH2-M chip from Intel have a defect
> >           * where the chip can cause a PCI protocol violation if it receives
> >           * a CU_RESUME command when it is entering the IDLE state.  The
> >           * workaround is to disable Dynamic Standby Mode, so the chip never
> >           * deasserts CLKRUN#, and always remains in an active state.
> >           *
> >           * See Intel 82801BA/82801BAM Specification Update, Errata #30.
>
> Will the card be able to function in suspend mode and do Wake-on-LAN
> correctly after this?

It should still do wake-on-lan, although the fxp driver doesn't support
that right now - it doesn't appear to be a useful feature.

Powersave transitions (D0 -> D3) should also still work.  What the fix
does is prevent the board from reducing power in idle state, which is
a subset of D0.  (Intel has D0-active and D0-idle, or some such).
--
Jonathan