Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:20:12 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG, Munehiro Matsuda <haro@tk.kubota.co.jp>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is texinfo needed for buildworld with -DNOINFO ?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 11:47:27PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > > It's arguable, so I'd go with the status quo -- always build and install
> > > the texinfo program, even if info files are not to be installed.
>
> The patch is a (small) optimization.  It happens to avoid the bug when
> NOINFO is set for the whole world.
>
> > The problem is that `{bootstrap,cross}-tools' are always built with
> > -DNOINFO, and thus there is no way to determine wherher the user
> > explicitly requested -DNOINFO or not.
>
> Not a problem.  Only Makefile.1 needs to know whether the user set it.

How's that not a problem?  The current Makefile.inc1 is written so,
that bootstrap-tools are built with:

BMAKE=${BMAKEENV} ${MAKE} -f Makefile.inc1 -DNOMAN -DNOINFO -DNOHTML
                                                   ^^^^^^^^

So, how inside the Makefile.inc1's bootstrap-tools: target I could know
whether the user requested NOINFO, or Makefile.inc1 itself?

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,