Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:05:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "Rich Wilson" <wk633@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

No, it certainly isn't.  But, I think that there's a few members of the
Linux community that are inimical to FreeBSD.  Self-preservation
is a strong point for fighting these folks.

>Leibovitch asks why BSD people aren't speaking out.  But as I
>mentioned in an earlier mail [2], BSD people hardly ever speak out about
>broad issues of "free software".  It's left to people like Eric
>Raymond to talk about BSD while rebutting Mundie [3].

Eric Raymond is the biggest dumb-shit to walk the face of the earth.  Take a
look at this quote out of his own lips, from your [3] URL:

"...The GPL infects only derivative works of GPLed software -- you have to
include part of the source code of a GPLed program in your program..."

Notice something there HE USES THE VERB "INFECTS"!!!

This is the same fool that in the same breath is bitching because Microsoft
is
equating the GPL to cancer.  He's screaming about the Big Lie soaking into
people's pores but he's not realizing that he's spewing exactly what
Microsoft
wants him to.  He's the one describing GPL as a virus here!!
Unbelievable!!!

>On the other hand, people routinely complain when BSD people aren't
>asked to co-sign such letters.  I find it not at all surprising that
>the "free software community" doesn't have BSD uppermost in mind,
>since the BSD community itself likes to stay so aloof from the rest of
>the free software world.

When you have people like Eric Raymond and Richard Stallman walking around
spewing I guess it's no surprise.  Bruce seems to at least have his head
on straight as far as the communication process goes, while I disagree with
what he says and does I at least respect him.  But the other 2 are downright
embarrassing.

>Also, I don't think BSD is immune from damage merely because Microsoft
>was training its guns on the GPL.  If Microsoft does succeed in
>out-fudding Linux, and if the popularity of the BSDs continues to
>increase, the BSD systems will be the next target of the FUD machine,
>business-friendly license or not.  ("First they came for the Jews...")

Except that your a fool to shoot a gun that points backwards and Microsoft
is no fool.  If they start fudding BSD then your going to see the world
start saying "Gee, why does this piece of Microsoft code still have
"Copyright Regents of the University.... embedded in it" and "Gee, why
is Microsoft selling MS Office for MacOS X which is a BSD-based OS" and
a host of other things.  You got to give Microsoft credit for some sense
at least they aren't _that_ stupid.

>- Rahul
>
>[1] http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=1918
>
>[2]