Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:06:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      dereck <dereckhaskins@yahoo.com>
To:        Xian <ian@codepad.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is windows a virus

I know that this is meant to be humorous, and I like
this type of humor.  So - this made me smile and I
thank you.

But you should be aware that historically many
computer professionals considered *NIX to be a virus.
In terms of OS history *NIX has big problems, and its
history is very checkered.  I use it, because it is
the most complete and widely available OS.  But I find
it hardly "good," either theoretically or practically.
 I have a love/hate relationship with it, because the
constant re-implementation of *NIX takes a lot of
human years away from what should be a _re-evaluation_
of the whole *NIX project.  (Yes, beginning with the
use of C and its variants as the base language.)

The spread of *NIX and its many copycats is definitely
NOT a win-win for the computing industry as a whole.
There is even a downloadable book on the early years
of *NIX, which tells the whole sordid story (in user
emails) of why *NIX has historically sucked.  I love
BSD and I hate it.  It is the "best" of what is
available.  Would that we could do better!

Enjoy the link below!  Note that almost none of the
fundamental problems are fixable - they are products
of the original design.  And Dennis Ritchie's
introduction is worth the price of the original!  The
man can turn a phrase.

http://web.mit.edu/~simsong/www/ugh.pdf

Dereck

BTW:  I still lean toward Windows as virus :-).  It's
definition of how user interface _should_ look is a
scab on the industry.  BAH!