Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:37:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running lyris for linux makes many zombies

MT> On SYSV (and Linux) doing "signal(SIGCHLD, SIG_IGN)" is sufficient to
MT> get rid of zombies.  On BSD, you have to use sigaction() with the
MT> SA_NOCLDWAIT flag to get the same result.

MT> (Two minutes later)

MT> Yes, the following Q&D program does not leave a zombie child on linux.
MT> But when the linux-compiled binary is run under the linuxulator, it
MT> does leave a zombie.

MT> I.e. linuxulator bug.

Could some kind of wrapper program be written to make children
disappear like this and then exec lyris?  I suspect not since
grandchildren don't signal up to the grandparent, but I'm not that
familiar with signal handling.

Any kind of fix would be appreciated.  Right now I'm restarting the
process every 6 hours to keep zombies limited in number.