Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:51:31 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Tim Stinnett <trinity@ioa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chat

Tim Stinnett wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have recently installed FreeBSD 3.0 on my computer.  I am trying to
> connect to the internet through a local ISP.  I have a PnP modem and have
> modified the source using a FAQ found on the FreeBSD web server and the
> modem works correctly.  I have printed the pages from the hand book for
> setting up a ppp connection and have followed it to the letter, as far as I
> can tell.  When I type ppp from the shell I get ppp ON foo:.  I can then
> type term and using ATDT dial into my ISP.  After connecting it goes into
> packet mode and I can run ping in the background and hit my ISP.  If I try
> to use the command ppp -auto provider I get an error saying Chat failed.  I
> never hear the modem dial.  I have tried to change the dial string but can
> not find anything that will work.  Do you have any suggestions that I might
> try.  Thanks,

It would help if you include your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file with your
message.

> Tim Stinnett
> Flatpickin'   Just DU IT!

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com