Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:10:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Darryl Mondrow <dmondrow@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help! my Promise Ultra 33 DMA  IDE controller isn't recognized correctly.

I'm trying to install v2.2.8. During the hardware probe, my Western
Digital Caviar 10.1GB EIDE drive using an Ultra 33 controller card
seems to be recognized as as sd1, but the geometry is wayincorrect. I
boot from a 1GB SCSI drive which is recognized as sd0 and that's
listed OK. Under Windows95, the Ultra 33 is listed as a SCSI device
(this is correct as confirmed by the Ultra 33 manufacturer), so I
suppose that's why the hardware probe sees the EIDE drive as being sd1.
Can someone confirm this? If so, can I just change the geometry of sd1
to use a slice for the install?

Note that I am using the kernel "out of the box" (off the CD) and
haven't gotten past the hardware probe yet. The IRQ for the Ultra 33
card is 9 and cannot be changed - the manufacturer says it's supposed
to be listed as a SCSI device by Windows 95, which it is. It is
designed to be the accelerator for ultra DMA IDE drives. The card has
its own BIOS that replaces the main board BIOS and substitutes for the
main board IDE controller. The card supports drives over 8GB.

Thanks for your help,
Darryl Mondrow