Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:48:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>
To:        Walter Schwarzenfeld <w.schwarzenfeld@utanet.at>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: category customports

Hi,

the short answer: echo 'VALID_CATEGORIES=local' >> /etc/make.conf

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Walter Schwarzenfeld wrote:

> If I make an own port, I had it add to the category/Makefile. But this
> could be overwritten with the next update.
> If I make an own category I had it add to /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> under VALID_CATEGORIES.

There is a Mk/bsd.local.mk for a reason.
While it technically is under version control to provide a template
(hopefully that changes at some point), it should not be comitted to
unless strictly necessary.

Two reasons to use the bsd.local.mk:
1) You use various make.conf files to build for different machines or
testing options (use: `env __MAKE_CONF=/etc/test.conf make ...`) and
putting it in bsd.local.mk centralizes it. One could also make a
/etc/make.shared.conf in this case. Either / or.

2) You wish to set VALID_CATEGORIES based on some other (early
available) variable. This is the better case for using this file as it
is intended for extra logic, not extra configuration.

Hope this helps,