Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:33:27 +0100
From:      "Dave J. Boers" <djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: troubles with X

On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 06:28:02PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> For some reason now I can't startx(1) as either myself or root.
> I type startx and the PAM auth routines loop forever printing
> out 'Password:'.  I comment out the last two lines in /etc/pam.conf
> and I get an authentication failure (as I should).

I'm having the same problem. Cvsupped and recompiled -current just a few
hours ago. Then I recompiled X 3.3.5 and installed it. Now I can't start X
anymore either. Lines containing "Password:" just keep scrolling over my
terminal.  The password lines are being generated by xinit. Just plain "X"
works.

> Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  What is the correct
> method to start X on -current nowadays?

AFAIK you're doing it correctly.

Can someone PLEASE help out here? It's getting a bit annoying.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
  djb@relativity.student.utwente.nl