Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:44:40 +0200
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! core dumps: install, mtree, et cetera all of the sudden after portmaster security/cyrus-sasl2

On 08/16/12 17:44, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 05:33:20PM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
>>
>> I ran into a very delicate and nasty situation.
>>
>> On several boxes, FreeBSD 9.1-PRE and FreeBSD 10-CURRENT (build of
>> CURRENT sources from yesterday, r239295 Wed August 15 17:04:51 CEST 2012
>> amd64, I had to recompile all requirements of port Apache22, since after
>> the port update it core dumped.
>>
>> On FreeBSD 9.1-PRE, with pkg(ng), things went well. Recompilation and
>> installation of all "portmaster -f apache-2.2" requirements went perfect.
>>
>> On both FreeBSD 10-CURRENT boxes it ended up in a mess, all of a
>> sudden(!), while reinstalling port security/cyrus-sasl2, things started
>> to fail in a dramatik way!
>>
>> On both FBSD 10 boxes, the installation of the port security/cyrus-sasl2
>> got corrupted by "install" and/or "mtree" dumping core and signalling
>> SIGNAL 11. Booting into multiuser mode is impossible, login core dumps
>> SIGNAL 11, many other daemons, too. The only way is to boot into single
>> user mode.
>>
>> An installation failed due to pkg(ng) was missing libarchive.so via
>
> There is pkg-static for recovering in this type of situation.

Oh ... I'm new to pkg(ng).

>> portmaster or via core dumping install(1). By installing on one box, my
>> home box, port security/cyrus-sasl2 manually, luckily install(1) and
>> mtree(1) didn't coredump and it worked - and this precedure rescued me.
>> But on my lab's development box, it doesn't work!
>>
>> On this specific box, where this nasty problem also occured the same way
>> by simply recompiling everything for port www/apache22, including the
>> reinstallation of port security/cyrus-sasl2. Nearly every binary is
>> suddenly coredumping (as on the home box). login, vi, install, devfs,
>> syslogd, mtree, id, find ... a whole lot of binaries seem to be
>> compromised by something I do not see (libsasl2.so perhaps?).
>>
>> I tried to help myself via copying /rescue/vi to /usr/bin/vi to have at
>> least a working vi. But in /rescue, I can not find install or mtree. I'm
>> not familiar with the sophisticated ways of /rescue. Where are
>> install(1) and mtree(1)?
>>
>> Trying to reinstall security/cyrus-sasl2 from single-user fails due
>> install coredumps. pkg(ng) fails due to missing libpkg.so.5 and even
>> rejects being reinstalled. But /usr/local/lib/libpkg.so.0 is even there!
>> Disabling the use of pkg with commenting out WITH_PKGNG=yes in
>> /etc/make.conf leads to the above issues with mtree and install.
>> Disabling this pkgng tag leads to reinstallation of missing packages,
>> which are store in the pkgng sqlite format and not as ASCII anymore, but
>> then I get
>> /var/runld-elf.so.hints: No such file or directory
>
> Is this a typo, or literal transcription?  (The missing "/" between
> 'run' and 'ld-elf.so.hints', that is.)

A typo, sorry. I had to type it from the screen of the broken box to the
laptop.

>> Error: shared library "iconv.3" does not exist.
>>
>> But most of the libs have never been touch! So what is the loader
>> complaining about?
>>
>> Well, I'm floating like a dead man in the water and I'm glad that one
>> box survided although suffering from the same symptomes.
>>
>> I tried to find rescue images and a rescue DVD of a snap shot server,
>> but there is no way to crawl through the informations on the web pages
>> towards a snapshot. All folders end up in 2011 and highly outdated
>> (www.freebsd.org, I didn't look at mirrors since I thought the main
>> server carries the most recent stuff). This isn't funny. No lead, no
>> hint, even in the download section.
>>

> Yes, I have been complaining about this for a while now...

This is a so unneccessary issue. Why are people bothering themselfs with
hiding a bit of information? If one isn't a cold-blood developer aware
of all the neat knobs of FBSD and where to ask and where to look, a
novice or not-so-well-informed guy like me run into frustration. The
main page should have a hint present, where to find the newest stuff.
Leaving the officiela page the way it is at the moment in this specific
issue, it looks a bit "unmaintained" ...

>> If someone has some hints how to recompile the sources with an emergency
>> booted disk, I highly appreciate some desater advice. Maybe the release
>> of FreeBSD-10-CURRENT sources I compiled do have accidentally a nasty
>> bug, so it would be nice to update the sources and have a complete
>> recompilation done.
>>

> If you can get booted into a recovery medium, you can mount /usr/src and
> /usr/obj from the hosed system, and should be able to
> installworld/installkernel into the hosed system with DESTDIR set.
>
> Glen

I do  this the very moment with the RELEASE CD I found at allbsd.org for
the most recent FBSD 10.0-CURRENT as from 16.08.2012. I try to build the
sources and install them into the mounted DESTDIR.

Oliver