Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 13:24:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYM-0.9.0 ok for 3.3 and -current (was SYM driver available for -stable)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Gerard Roudier:
> > Could you check that tagged commands and disconnections are enabled for

> Tagged commands are disabled for these drives (IBM DCAS) because
> it gives them bad perfs in sequential reads/writes. I've
> re-enabled them on my machine because I think tags help for
> multiple accesses and I don't care that much for sequential
> perfs...

You have the same drives I do.  I forgot that there was a quirk entry
for these drives disabling tagged commands.  Do you see any
"choppyness" using either the old ncr driver or the new sym driver
when you have the system under a high I/O load?  With tags
enabled/disabled?  Under heavy CPU load as well?  I would spent some
time clarifying the "choppyness" I'm seeing a bit better yesterday,
but I had to go out and buy a new car instead.  Maybe tonight I'll
look into it.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."