Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:20:35 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
To:        "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attempting to get an X11 server running

On Jun 29, 2011, at 9:33 PM, Dieter BSD wrote:

>> Q1: how do you start X?
>=20
> "Xorg"
> (no config file)
>=20
> result: display works (1400x1050), but no keyboard or mouse
>=20
> "Xorg -configure"
> (creates /root/xorg.conf.new)
> "Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new"
>=20
> result: 1280x1024 which monitor doesn't like

I've observed this behavior when the probed graphics driver (e.g., "nv") ca=
nnot produce the desired resolution, and switching to "vesa" does the job. =
However, that is not a universal truth.

I've also observed situations where the probed graphics driver does just fi=
ne (e.g., "mach64" -- or nearly any of the ATI drivers).

For the "nv" drivers (NOTE: I'm specifically talking about xf86-video-nv, n=
ot nvidia-driver), I often find myself doing this:

1. X -configure
2. sed -i.bak -e 's/nv/vesa/' /root/xorg.conf.new
3. X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

Your mileage may var.

>=20
> I also tried "Xorg -keyboard Keyboard0 -pointer Mouse0"
> with and without "-config /root/xorg.conf.new", same results.
> I tried editing the config file, adding a 1400x1050 modeline,
> same results.
>=20
>> Q2: Have you tried to start X without a config file?
>=20
> Yes, see above
>=20
>> Q3: Do you have consolekit installed?
>=20
> yes, consolekit-0.4.3 from .../amd64/packages-8.2-release/...
rg"

--=20
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.teske@fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> END TRANSMISSION <-

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.