Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 12:21:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Towne <wrongway@slic.com>, John Lundin Jr <lundin@snark.richmond.edu>, freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your builds

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Have you looked into whether you can use a Windoze file as swap
> > > and auxiliary filesystem container? Haven't set up an experiment
> > > yet. I'm told linux can do it. Be nice to eliminate NFS, even if
> > > the pc has to slurp a lot more across the network at first.
> >
> > Hey! great idea, I hadn't thought about trying to use the windows
> > swapfile that was already available.. this might just work, if I
> > went along and created it as a vnode device, i believe i might
> > just try this tonight and post the results later :)
>
> You can do it, but performance sucks.  I'm led to believe that later
> versions of windows also grow and shrink the swapfile, so it's not so
> straightforward anymore.

Windows 95 and later do indeed resize the swapfile by default. This
can be changed in Start > Settings > Control Panel > System >
Performance, to a fixed size. I'm told this also increases Windows
performance. Defragment the disc/partition you use for swap though
before changing this in Windows.

Marc

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	 12:16pm  up   5 days,  12:12,  load average: 0.32 0.86 1.31