Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:17:26 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another advocacy opportunity

James Howard wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, James A. Mutter wrote:
>
> > > FreeBSD is developed by a group of over 150 volunteers who work on
> > > an ongoing basis to ensure its reliability and stability. Two separate
> > > versions are developed simultaneously. The first, called FreeBSD-STABLE,
> > > is slowly moving, but more stable and reliable than the second. The
> > > second, called FreeBSD-CURRENT, is less stable and more prone to problems
> > > than -STABLE. -CURRENT also includes the latest drivers and features,
> > > but with less testing. All changes made to -CURRENT migrate to -STABLE
> > > after significant testing. With over 100 updates, additions, and bug
> > > fixes made to the two branches each day, several easy and simple means
> > > of keeping a FreeBSD installation updated have been developed, each
> > > with a distinct niche. Additionally, daily snapshots of both branches
> > > are released via the Internet for testing and usage, as well as regularly
> > > scheduled releases.
> >
> > I don't like the statement that FreeBSD-STABLE is "more stable and
> > reliable than the second".  It implies that FreeBSD-Current is not
> > stable and that FreeBSD-Stable is only marginally better than
> > FreeBSD-Current.  I wouldn't even mention stability problems with
> > -STABLE (I think that this is fair) and then I would recharacterize
> > -CURRENT as a developers only release where new feature/ideas/concepts
> > are properly tested before being merged into the -STABLE branch.
>
> How does this revised version strike you:
>
>         FreeBSD is developed by a group of over 150 volunteers who work
>         on an ongoing basis to ensure its reliability and stability. Two
>         separate versions are developed simultaneously. The first, called
>         FreeBSD-STABLE is targetted and end users and professionals.  The
>         second, FreeBSD-CURRENT, is aimed at developers and testers often
>         including new ideas and features.  -CURRENT also includes the
>         latest drivers and but with less testing. All changes made to
>         -CURRENT migrate to -STABLE after significant testing. With over
>         100 updates, additions, and bug fixes made to the two branches
>         each day, several easy and simple means of keeping a FreeBSD
>         installation updated have been developed, each with a distinct
>         niche. Additionally, daily snapshots of both branches are
>         released via the Internet for testing and usage, as well as
>         regularly scheduled releases.
>
> I onyl changed a couple sentences, but this sounds a lot better in my
> opinion.  What do you think?

Much better, but run-on.  See how you feel about this:

FreeBSD is developed by a group of nearly 200 volunteers who work on
an ongoing basis to ensure its reliability and stability.  Two
separate versions or ``branches'' are developed simultaneously.  The
FreeBSD-STABLE branch is targeted at end users and professionals.  The
FreeBSD-CURRENT branch where the leading edge development occurs, and
is intended developers and testers.  Important changes made to the
CURRENT branch migrate to the STABLE branch after significant testing
and review.