Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:19:15 +0200
From:      Thomas Gellekum <Thomas.Gellekum@gmx.de>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>, Thomas Sparrevohn <Thomas.Sparrevohn@btinternet.com>, kron <kron24@gmail.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eclipse-devel

On 08/07/13 11:48, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> I'm still trying to figure out just how the patching works for Eclipse
> work so that I can modify the os.h and os.c for the freebsd.gtk
> module. If anyone wants to jump in here and provide some advice,
> please feel free to do so.

This is what the main build.xml does in very short form: it will
1. execute some consistency checks (mainly to the OSGi manifests for
3rd party bundles),
2. unpack the eclipse source,
3. apply the patches in the patches/ subdir,
4. bootstrap PDE to generate the build.xml files for all bundles,
5. build eclipse.

We want to change files, of course, but need to do that at different
times, or our changes would be overwritten or the files wouldn't exist yet.

files/eclipse-build-upstream.patch and files/patch-* are applied by our
ports framework.

files/freebsd-support.patch is copied to the working directory and will
be applied by the build process outlined above in step 3. Most
importantly, it will create files necessary to build the eclipse
launcher and SWT bundles.

You need to add your patches to os.[ch] to files/freebsd-support.patch,
otherwise there'd be no file to patch.

HTH,

tg