Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2018 12:58:01 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        eric@vangyzen.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Good motherboard for Ryzen (first-gen)

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 10:56 AM Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net> wrote:

> I would like to build a Ryzen desktop.  Can anyone recommend a good
> motherboard?
>
> I'm planning on a first-gen, because the second-gen has similar
> stability problems as the first-gen had, and AMD hasn't released errata
> for the second-gen yet (as far as I know...I would love to be wrong).
>
> I would like to be a cool kid with a Threadripper, but I can't justify
> the cost, so I'm thinking maybe a Ryzen 7 with /only/ 8 cores.  :)
>
> Ideally, I want an Intel NIC, ECC memory support, and a 3-year warranty.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eric

I purchased MSI B350 Gaming Pro with a Ryzen 2600 it's been great but if
you plan to run FreeBSD you'll need a graphics card that's supported by the
current graphics drivers.

I found something quite old, it works with the drm2 drivers and there's no
issues. There's list of supported cards here:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

There's work being done on improving the graphics drivers, soon you won't
need to get such old GPU.

As for ECC I don't think you'll find many 1st gen ryzen motherboards that
support that but I could be wrong, spec and datasheet here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350M-GAMING-PRO/Specification