Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:40:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS Allegro-1 not working in 4.4-STABLE?

In message <20011010010214.931F63E7C@CRWdog.demon.co.uk> Andy Sparrow writes:
:     pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci2
:     pcm0: unable to allocate register space
:     device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

Hmmmm.

: There's no option in my (Pheonix) BIOS you can set to indicate that
: this isn't a PNPOS, as some have suggested to others, and PNPBIOS
: doesn't make any  difference (as this is a PCI device, but I tried
: it anyway).

You need to turn off PNP OS in the BIOS.  FreeBSD isn't completely
supported on machines that don't let you do that (and never has been,
btw).

I think we need an improved pci framework to dole out resource ranges
in cases like this.

Warner