Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:00:49 -0700
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   make install

ok.  I install foo-1.2 via the ports system with make install.  it has
lots of files in /usr/local/mumble/foo-1.2.  At a later point in time
foo 1.3 comes out.  I do a cvs update in /usr/ports/mumble/foo and a
make install.  It installs the new version just fine, but doesn't
remove the old version first.  I still have /usr/local/mumble/foo-1.2
files around (as well as /var/db/pkg/foo-1.2 and now a
/var/db/pkg/foo-1.3).

I can understand that in some cases you want this behavior (tk and tcl
come to mind).  However for others (most I'd say), you just want the
latest version.

My thoughts on the matter are that you'd want to make those ports that
can have multiple versions installed somehow.  In addition, you might
need to propigate this to the packages as well.

Beyond that, I've not really thought things through yet.  Comments?

Warner