Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:38:45 +0500 (KSD)
From:      "Vladimir A. Petrov" <V.Petrov@VAZ.ru>
To:        David Deaven <deaven@execpc.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions mail list <Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Troubles with cdrecord, AHA-1540CF and RICOH MP 6200S

Hello, David Deaven!

Thank You for your reply!

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, David Deaven wrote:

> Yes, I think that your CDRW/SCSI hardware setup is messed up.  Check the
> cables carefully -- you might try a known good cable, and also check if other
> SCSI devices will work properly on this adaptor (it looks like a disk is on
> it, so I assume that's working ok :)).  Have you terminated the SCSI bus
> correctly after adding the CDRW?

Yes, I checked my hardware. Cables is Ok, termination set correctly.
Cable in using about 2 years without problems. This cable has 3 connectors.
Before RICOH installation in using was 2 of it: first and last. On first,
as it was before, and as it right now, lives my AHA-1540CF with termination
enabled. On the last was SEAGATE SCSI HDD terminated also. Termination
what has RICOH not so useful as SEAGATE termination, by this reason
I moved HDD on the second connector with termination disabled, CDRW
was set at the last connector with terminators preinstalled at the
factory. I only change SCSI ID of CDRW from 2 to 1 (AHA has 7 and HDD
has 0). I think all of this is all right, isn't it? SEAGATE works
perfectly.

> I use cdrecord on 2.2.6-STABLE with an NCR
> PCI SCSI adaptor and the Ricoh MP6200S, and it works with no errors, even for
> disk-sized (650Mb) transfers.

Tonight I'll try to change my AHA-1540CF to Tekram DC-390U and see
what happens. ;-)

> When I power up my CDRW led flashes orange, then turns green
> and stays that way. I also get more probe info from my CDRW than you do:
>
>     [...]
>     ncr0 <ncr 53c810a fast10 scsi> rev 18 int a irq 11 on pci0:11:0
>     ncr0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
>     (ncr0:1:0): "RICOH MP6201S 2.03" type 5 removable SCSI 2
>     cd0(ncr0:1:0): CD-ROM cd present [111623 x 2048 byte records]
>     [...]

If at power up disk is inserted in the drive all walks as You wrote.
Short orange flashing then stable green. Also a get message like yours
that disk inserted and drive reports it size.

> This all points to a hardware problem on your system.  If all else fails I'd
> try exchanging the CDRW unit.

All points on it. :-) If changing of the SCSI host gives nothing then
I'll return my CDRW back to shop.

> Good luck!

Thank You!

BTW Can Your send me your config files I want to compare it with
my configuration, because I don't have big expirence with CDRW.