Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:08:56 +1100
From:      "Mark Hannon" <mark@doorway.homeip.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-RC1 Binary Upgrade = Kernel Trap

Hi,

Some notes on my upgrade / fresh install experiences with 5.0-RC1.

1) Binary Upgrade doesn't recognize existing swap partitions

Original configuration, Athlon 1.2, IDE, 4.7 + Gnome2 etal.

I booted the install CD, selected 'upgrade', ignored the warnings
and proceeded to the disk label menu.  At this point I re-mounted
all my existing partitions (except swap) and hit Q.  The installer
then complained that I had no swap and it wouldn't continue
(despite the presence of a 'b' slice).  I returned to the label
editor, deleted and then re-created the 'b' slice and continued
the upgrade.

2) Binary Upgrade from 4.7-RELEASE failed with kernel trap

After choosing the installation sets and install media I hit ENTER
and the installation started.  About 10% through the base install
the system halted with a kernel trap:

	type 12 trap, code 0
	Stopped at vfs_setdirty+0x56: 	movzwl 0x3e(%ebx),%eax

3) Not able to reset active partition

Given that I now had a partially installed system I elected to
re-install from scratch, a new attempt, with re-labelled and newfs
partitions installed without complications.

After rebooting the installed system I wanted to reset the active
partition to my NTFS primary (where I use the Win2K boot.ini to
boot FreeBSD).

I was not able to get fdisk to set the active partition.

4) Gnome install did not create gdm user/group

As part of the initial install I selected gnome2, the packages
were all installed, however the gdm user/groups were not added to
the system.  I had to manually add them, reset directory ownership
and permissions to get gdm to start.

5) Mozilla not on CD

Can I suggest that mozilla would be a better browser to stick on
the install CD than netscape?

Haven't had more time to play with things yet as when I finally
tried to login to gnome it complained that it couldn't lock some
file in my (NFS mounted) homedirectory.  I will poke around
tonight and check if I have enabled NFS client side locking.

Regards/Mark