Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:43:42 -0700
From:      "Lyndon Griffin" <lgriffin@naviant.com>
To:        "a disembodied voice emerging from the chaos of reality" <cjc26@cornell.edu>
Cc:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Wayward SPARC 5 looking for a good home.

I'd like to say that I know how far its progressed ;)  Truthfully, the
'real' work has all been done on the 64bit SPARCs - I'm part of the splinter
group that wants to work on 32 bit machines.  The web page is maintained by
the 64 bit group.  To my knowledge, there has been no real effort to merge
the two.  And, there has been little done (so far) on my part, save putting
some src trees in place and scanning through some code.

Personally, I'm working primarily on a SS2, running OpenBSD 2.5.  I think
everyone else involved has been working on NetBSD 1.x.  I don't even know
why one would be --too-- much different from the other, since both share
common roots, in source and in coders.  I've never had good luck with
NetBSD, so OpenBSD is my OS of choice.

Most of my effort, right now, has been trying to find good documentation.
I'm working a contract that keeps me in Silly-cone Valley, and I find that
information is much easier to come by, compared to Delaware.  There are no
good price breaks, however, on documentation - but I found a great store for
beefing up on disk space, and have since acquired a few more SCSI drives.

I also have a couple of friends that work at Sun, but none of them would
risk even a rumor of them passing on documentation, let alone the real
thing.  I didn't press the issue, there.

I think what's been said several times over the last year is absolutely
true - we need a leader, someone who knows how to manage software life-cycle
projects, and someone that's familiar with Sun hardware, on a very low
level.  That might amount to more than one person, but just one would do,
for the time being.

<:)  Lyndon